cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Question about xslt bench
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 01:40:58 GMT
On 10.02.2004 10:09, MAHE Vincent FTRD/DIH/REN wrote:

> I am running performance tests on a webapp using Cocoon 2.1.3 on Resin 2.1.9 with the
IBM JVM.

> I have installed the profiler which told me that most of time is spent on the xslt tranform
in my pipeline (the setup time, not the processing time)
> For the moment I'm using the default xalan XSLT processor.
>
> So I have changed the use-store to "true" (the default value is false, I don't know why),
and it increases response time a lot.
> When this parameter is set to "false", I can only have 22 simultaneous virtual users
(if I want to have a web page in less than one second).
> When this parameter is set to "true", I can have 100 simultaneous virtual users (with
pages produces in less than 2 seconds).

> Here are my questions :
>     - what is the exact role of the use-store parameter ?
>     - what are the advantages/drawbacks of using this parameter ? Why is it set by default
to "false" in Cocoon 2.1.3 ?
>     - what is the best xslt processor to use (Xalan, XSLTC, Saxon, ...). Are there any
bench results about that, using Cocoon ?

> It makes a lot of questions but It seems that xslt is the major performance point to
tune.
> If there could be more details on the Cocoon documentation about that, it would be very
helpfull for Cocoon starters like me.

Some very long time ago there was a memory leak issue AFAIK. The issue
of use-store has been often discussed in the last year on the developers
list, so you should find mails in the archives, e.g.

Joerg