cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: HSSF Serializer question(Excel)
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 03:17:19 GMT
On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 04:06:04PM -0500, Anna Bikkina wrote:
> I am having a strange problem trying to convert a xml document to excel.The
> excel is being generated perfectly, and when the alert saying(Do you want to
> open,save or cancel this document.) comes up and I try to open the excel the
> same pipeline which executed this excel is being executed again. When I click
> on save and save it to my local harddrive the pipeline is not executed twice.
>
> Did anyone face a similar problem.

Are you using IE 5.5 as your browser?  It has a bug that causes this
same problem when loading PDF documents.  Maybe it is a general problem
for any type of file handled externally?  The symptoms are that IE
downloads the file once for itself and then a second time to give it to
Acrobat.  Perhaps you hit the same bug with Excel documents?

It may not fit your use-case, but I solved it by separating the file
generation from the file download by having a generate button that
triggers the creation and saving of the PDF to a file on the server,
and a separate button to download the file.  However, you have to watch
out for race conditions if more than one instance of the pipeline can
write to the same file at the same time.

--Tim Larson