cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: Indexing i18n pages
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 04:03:19 GMT

On Mar 28, 2004, at 2:54 AM, Marcin Okraszewski wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm building a multi language web site. The language is chosen from
> browser settings. I'm afraid that using this approach, the indexing
> engines will index only English version of my page. It might prevent
> people speaking my native language from finding my pages.
>
> Is there any way to prevent this? I could make selecting language by
> setting the "locale" cookie, but I don't think robots will rescan all
> pages. Maybe I should check it is a robot and serve it a page with
> contents in all languages

I doubt if that's really what you'd want...

I'd approach it like this:

1) Make sure that there are URI spaces for non-negotiated content in
all the languages, e.g.

	your.dom.ain/fr_FR/...
	your.dom.ain/de_DE/...

i.e., "your.dom.ain/About-Us" would serve content for the negotiated
language, but "your.dom.ain/fr_FR/About-Us" would always be French.

2) Provide a page containing links to all of the above "language root"
URIs.

3) Make that page reachable from the home page.

There, now the index bots will spider your site in all languages.
~ml