cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Burkard <sburk...@previon.ch>
Subject Re: How can I make IE display html in auto encoding utf-8?Sorry last mail use html
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:03:31 GMT
hi roy

i had the same effect with cyrillic characters to display russian language!

in effect, if i connect directly to tomcat on port 8080 everything runs
ok, because tomcat and cocoon both don't set any encoding in the
http-header. therefore the meta-tag in the html-page (set by
cocoon-serializer) is used by the browser (ie/mozilla/safari on mac/win)
to determine the encoding.

BUT if i connect to the site via apache/jk2, the browser is using
iso-8859-1. this is because the http-header has no encoding set - apache
sets then his standard-encoding of iso-8859-1.

to solve this problem quickly i set the apache-directive
"AddDefaultCharset" in the apache-virtual-host to "UTF-8". this way
apache adds the utf-8-encoding to the encoding-less http-headers of tomcat

the correct solution would be to tell cocoon to write the correct
encoding in the http-header! but i have no idea how to do this - and i
wonder that cocoon doesn't do it "out of the box"

greetings
stefan