cocoon-users mailing list archives

From H.vanderLin...@MI.unimaas.nl
Subject RE: Best practice for "database" manipulation?
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:09:58 GMT
Hi,

> OK, so if the interface is sufficiantly similar to JDBC, you might be

Not nearly.

> able to adapt the DatabaseActions in the
> org.apache.cocoon.acting.modular package. Adapting OJB or
> Hibernate is
> probably out of question although it would be the preferred way.
>
> Other than that, my advice is to put your database access into a java
> class (better: Avalon components) and access it from flow. If
> you cannot
> or don't want to use flow, use actions to access it.

Hmm. Could you give a more detailed example of how this would look like with
either flow or actions? I do have some Java classes now that do the actual
database connection, which I now call from my XSP page. So it would be very
helpful if you could write down a (set of) sitemap pattern(s) with a round
trip (i.e. put query into "DatabaseConnection", put result through Woody on
screen, put result back into "DatabaseConnection").

I don't like the idea of handling _everything_ in flow (like the petstore
example), which would make me look in two places (flow and sitemap) to find
out what's going on. I do use flow with Woody, but then I prefer to use and
reuse generic functions where all the variables (which
template/binding/definition and where to redirect to) are passed in as
parameters from the sitemap. I guess that I prefer flow to actions because
it's easier to debug and modify.

Thanks.

Bye, Helma