cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Yves Vindevogel" <yves.vindevo...@implements.be>
Subject RE: deleting file
Date Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:04:05 GMT
Yes, you are right about that, but this command gives you access to all the
shell commands.

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Howard [mailto:cocoon@leverageweb.com]
Sent: zondag 29 februari 2004 19:58
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: deleting file

Yves Vindevogel wrote:

>Got this once .... but you can read what Steven Noels thinks about it ...
>
>Yves Vindevogel wrote:
>

>>Is there anything within Cocoon that interacts with the (*nix)-shell ?
>>Or a way to do this ?
>>

>System.exec() from Java, but evil as hell. Don't!!!
>
></Steven>

Not sure what that has to do with deleting a file?  A java.io.File
object has a delete() method which has always worked quite well for me!
See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/io/File.html

What Stephen was referring to was executing arbitrary shell executables
which is of course non-portable across OSs and has deadlock issues
(though they can be worked around to a great degree).  It's also
aesthetically at odds with the general Java paradigm and so should
really be a last resort.

Geoff