cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: JXTemplate Status
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:10:26 GMT

On Feb 10, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Alan wrote:

> Here's another metric:
>
>     [alan@bled cocoon-2.1.3]$ find . -name \*.xsp | wc
>           150     150    9546
>     [alan@bled cocoon-2.1.3]$ find . -name \*.jx | wc
>           13      13     800
>
>     It appears that XSP, although folks are moving away from it, still
> does a
>     lot of work in the Cocoon 2.1.3 distribution.
>
>     JXTemplate doesn't look like it has as much employment, yet.

A couple of points to throw out:

1) All of those occurrences (both of .xsp and .jx) are in the samples,
so neither are used 'in' Cocoon per se.  My guess is that samples that
exemplify something useful are going to be around for a while, even if
they happen to use XSP just because that's what there was to use when
the sample was written.

2) JXTemplate vs. XSP is a bit of an apples & oranges comparison...
Flow+JXTemplate vs. XSP might be more fair to compare.

> <..snip..>
>
>> BTW Woody is propagated to be used with Flow, but not bound to it.
>
> Woody is designed to be used with Flow, but not bound to it. Check.

Actually I think Woody was not designed to be used with Flow.  Joerg
used the word "propagated", and that seems right.  When Flow was
introduced, Woody was brought forward to play together with it — well,
the WoodyTemplateTransformer, anyway!  The WoodyGenerator missed that
train, as we've covered in other posts.  The core of Woody doesn't
depend on flow.  You can look right at the heart of Woody+Flow
integration, it's a fairly small flowscript program that you load at
the beginning of every Woody controller flowscript:

	org/apache/cocoon/woody/flow/javascript/woody2.js

...and it's instructive to do so, as it really helps with understanding
how all this works (it's helped me, anyway).

Cheers,
~ml