cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jon Evans <jon.ev...@misgl.com>
Subject Re: Portal Engine bookmarks
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:13:57 GMT
Hi Laurent.,

On 20 Feb 2004, at 12:50, Laurent Trillaud wrote:

>  It's not the way I follow. I don't care about the length of the URL.
> Why are
>  you concern about that? Do you reach the http limit size?
>  Form the user, point of view, he see always the same url
>  http://MyServ/MyApp/portal and he see the name of the link, not the
> href.
>  In my opinion, the best way to make links in the portal is the
> cl:link. It's
>  straight forward.
>  Bookmarks are design to access to the portal by link hosted outside
> the
>  portal. For example, to put a link in an email.

Well, with the site I'm building, once you are logged in the front page
displays a list of icons which, when clicked on, take you to a search
page for that icon. Because the links have to switch 3 different
layouts to the correct tab, and pass a value to two different coplets,
the URLs generated for each app were big, and as the front page could
contain about 100 of these icons (depending on how the user has
configured it), that's a lot of data to send to the browser.

I've cut down my page weight by using an "app?id=123" form of link, and
the matcher redirects that to a bookmark URL, which then redirects it
to a portlet URL.  So, I've made the site quicker by reducing the page
weight, now I want to speed it up again by avoiding two extra round
trips for the browser.

Also it's aesthetically nicer to have a short URL.  Just look at
Linotype for example. :-)

Cheers,

Jon