cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ivo Limmen <ivo.lim...@virgil.nl>
Subject Re: Can not configure components by web.xml
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:19:38 GMT
It's not that I don't want the customer to look in the Cocoon webapp
directory. If he want to, he may look into the directory.
I want my 'dumb' users to configure the Cocoon webapp that includes my
customized components just like he configures any other web application.
I want my user to open up the manager of Tomcat and deploy the web
application and configure the web application.

It could simply be done by adding one line to the CocoonServlet in the
init(ServletConfig) method:

// conf is the ServletConfig in the init() method
this.appContext.put("servletconfig", conf);

This would fix all my problems. Then I could get the 'servletconfig'
from the ObjectModel.
I currently created a ConfigurationServlet that has the configuration I
need in it's web.xml when my Transformator needs the configuration I do:

ConfigurationServlet configServlet = ConfigurationServlet.getInstance();

This works fine but it is not the most beautifull sollution.

Jorg Heymans wrote:

> so you want to configure your cocoon components through web.xml because
> you don't want customers to open your cocoon webapp directory, is this
> correct? But if they configure through a different webapp then they
> would need to open a different webapp directory anyway and edit the file
> there. So is the point then actually more to protect customers from
> looking at your cocoon app?
>
> I am not following you here, probably due to me having a slow day. Can
> you explain a bit more?
>
> Jorg
>
> Ivo Limmen wrote:
>
>> No that is not an option for a real deployment as the Java Servlet
>> guru's have in mind.

>>> Is providing a web based form that allows to change your component
>>> parameters an option?

Ivo Limmen