cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Deployment/Migration to linux
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:20:51 GMT
Anders Forsgren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope someone could help me sort out some of the problems I'm
> experiencing when deploying my cocoon webapp to a linux server.
>
> I'm developing and testing my cocoon 2.1  webapp under windows
> XP/Tomcat 4.1.29, and it works great.
>
> - The WEB-INF/work and logs directories are not created when the
> webapp loads, probably a problem with file access. What directories
> and permissions do I need to give to the user running the tomcat process?

Well, Tomcat will be started as a specific user; I usually install a
tomcat user, but this must not be the case, and is probably not even the
recommended way. however: the user under which tomcat is startes should
have write rights to these directories.

> - I have some small dynamic images made with svg and svg2jpeg, which
> will not render. I have read some things about problems with batik on
> headless setups, but also that It should not be a problem since jdk
> 1.4. Where do I start looking for the problem?

it is true, that it became easier under 1.4, but afaik you have to start
java with the appropriate headless parameter: check the java JRE
documentation, or search the Cocoon wiki, I assume, there is an easy
solution for this.

> The only traces of errors I can find are in the
> /etc/jakarta-tomcat/logs/catalina.out  , where cocoon complains about
> not being able to create the log files.
>
> I also have some problems with xsp-actions, but I figure these errors
> are just following from the write-access problems (i.e. the /work
> directory needs to be created before an xsp will work)? Am I correct?

yes, the XSPs are compiled into the work directory. again: check the
access rights as mentioned above.

> I was hoping to be able to merely upload the whole directory structure
> from the windows machine to the linux machine, but unfortunately this
> was not the case (how naive).  :)
> The server administrator is a busy person, and there are loads of
> other webapps running in the same tomcat process, so I'd rather not be
> experimenting to much with it either.

this is hard to assume, because if tomcat has no write-rights to work,
also other JSPs will not compile?!

maybe your webapps directory has not the correct read rights? so that
you added the files with your user/group and tomcat cannot read it?!

alex