cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Klein <kle...@web.de>
Subject Re: building Collection from JDO problems
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:13:02 GMT
Hi Bert,

> Does the problem with object identities mean that OJB is not the right
> way to go when building forms that display editable lists? If that is
> that case I lost quite a lot of time just trying to find an quicker way
> to build web forms.
> What are the limitiations of OJB exactly?

thought I'd point this out to you, since it cost me a lot of time and I
still haven't solved it in a satisfying way. AFAIK, there is a bug in the
current OJB release rc5 with the use of javax.jdo.Query (as you use in
your retrieve method). The objects in the collection it returns are
actually not persistent as they should be. The nasty implication is:
You retrieve a collection, you edit it via your form. You call
transaction.commit() and the database doesn't get updated!
The only way to retrieve a persistent object is by using
getObjectByIdentity (or something like that) like they do in the JDO
tutorial on the OJB site.

They recently fixed the bug (get the latest CVS HEAD and compile it
yourself), however, I am still running into a problem: I have got an
object of class User that contains a field roles that is a collection of
Role objects. When I retrieve a collection of User objects via Query, the
respective Role objects are retrieved with them automatically. The users
are persistent as they should be (thanks to the bug being fixed), the
connected roles however still aren't. So by the time you commit, OJB
tries to re-create the roles in the database and you get duplicate key
errors. I haven't had the time yet to ask the OJB people about it.

This is not to do with your current problems, but I thought I'd point it
out to you before you run into it.

For the moment, I actually gave up on OJB-JDO after spending a lot of
time on it and just use the OJB PersistenceBroker-API which so far works
perfectly and reliably for my relatively small persistence needs.

Stefan