cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alan <alan-coc...@engrm.com>
Subject Re: WoodyTemplateTransformer vs. WoodyGenerator
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:39:30 GMT
* Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@gmx.de> [2004-02-10 02:14]:
> On 09.02.2004 18:49, Alan wrote:

> >I make a lot of use of the mode attribute to template and
> >    apply-tempaltes. Have you started playing around with this?
> >    Using include and the mode attribute I'm getting some pretty
> >    impressive resuse and modularization in my stylesheets.

> After the refactoring this is also the way now the Woody widget and page
> styling stylesheets in Cocoon go. You can easily extend them. If you
> have still more suggestions on this issue, I will be happy to here from you.

Well, I suppose I'll have to make an effort to reuse the existing
    Woody widges XSLT templates so I can offer suggestions.

> >>http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=WoodyTemplateTransformer has
> >>this to say: "If you prefer to do everything with XSLT, you have also
> >>the option of using the WoodyGenerator. In general we recommend to use
> >>the woody transformer though."  Why is the transformer approach
> >>recommended over the generator approach?  I don't get it.

> When using the WoodyTransformer you separate the widget and page styling
> from the page structure. The latter one is the form template and
> provides the structure of the form.

Page structure is provided by the form template. As a common example
    one might mix xhtml and Woody template elements to describe the
    layout of the widgets on a page. The WoodyTransformer injects
    the Woody interface elements that are then styled using an XSLT
    tranform into xhtml controls.

    Polly want a cracker.

> When using the WoodyGenerator you don't have this separation. You only
> have a form representation at the beginning of the pipeline, but you
> must bring structure into it, i.e. you need a form specific template
> that transforms the pure form description into form description +
> layout. Now you can use the woody styling stylesheets again.

You must bring structure to it: via an XSLT transformation? Is that
    what is meant by "specific template"?

    Does the WoodyGenerator go from Woody template to Woody
    interface directly? It expands the template to include error
    messages and the like. Then you have to write a XSLT transform
    to turn that very basic information into something suitable for
    serialization.

    This does sound much more complex that starting the pipeline
    with an expression of the structure of the final document. In
    XSLT it is much easier to transform structure than it is to
    express structure.

> Nothing really to be prefered over the other I guess.

Perhaps it is a matter of habit or taste.

    I like the WoodyTransformer because I can start the pipeline by
    aggregating my frame layout and document content using schemas
    that describe site structure and document structure
    respectively. This is how most of my pipelines function
    (borrowing from the Cocoon documentation).

    In the documents I add Woody widgets, so it it aggregate
    document and frame, run the WoodyTransformer, then run through
    an XSLT transform that generates xhtml, then serialize.

Woody is a very impressive piece of work. Thank you for putting all
    this effort into it.

Sharing my experiences.

--
Alan / alan@engrm.com