cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Brent L Johnson" <br...@bjohnson.net>
Subject RE: Memory Leak with Tomcat (was Re: A notebook for Cocoon development)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:03:47 GMT
> > It does span restarts.. but the first few restarts work
> fine. The way
> > *I* fix the problem is I have to completely kill tomcat,
> and check for
> > any running java processes and kill them.. let the machine sit and
> > start Tomcat back up again.  It's really weird, but I never really
> > worried about it too much.
>
> Ah.  Gotcha.  This sort of rings a bell - I don't suppose you have
> checked tomcat's bug list?  If you wait long enough after shutdown
> without manually killing processes, do they clear up on their own?

I haven't checked the buglist for 4.1.x, but I'm thinking
about upgrading to Tomcat 5.0.18 since some of their
enhancements include things like:
* Performance optimizations and reduced garbage collection
* Scalability and reliability enhancements

> > If it helps any.. the first thing that signals a problems
> is that the
> > site gets very slow for no apparent reason (and Tomcat is
> sucking up
> > 90% of the CPU of a 2.4Ghz Xeon processor). Then Batik
> stops rendering
> > images.. I get broken images in the browser.  Then,
> usually, the site
> > completely stops responding. If I then just do a quick shutdown.sh
> > (sleep 2) startup.sh.. it may or may not work.. sometimes I have to
> > run a shutdown and wait a few minutes and start it back up (maybe 2
> > second sleep isnt enough time).
>
> Ah, I missed batik before.  That's another possibility, especially if
> John is using it too.  Can you check cocoon's bugzilla for issues
> related to batik?

Sorry - forgot to mention Batik in the previous emails.. and I'll
try looking for any batik related issues.

> > It does if I shut it down manually (without my script that
> just does a
> > shutdown.sh, sleep 2, startup.sh).. wait about 30 seconds
> then start
> > it back up again.  Or I can use my script, but I may have to run it
> > 3-4 times before everything works correctly.  I can tell it
> didnt work
> > correctly if 1) batik still isnt rendering images, or 2) I get no
> > response from the server.
>
> That may answer my earlier question?

Yep :)  I don't have to kill anything.. but Im sorta impatient
when it comes to waiting on a computer to do something.
It's sad when a 2.4Ghz Xeon is too slow for me.

> >>Ok, I think there are others which are forced in by
> dependency, IIRC.
> >>Are you using flow?
>
> I meant to erase the bit about the forced dependencies - not
> sure there
> are in your case.

Not sure - I made sure I checked the dependency comments
in the properties file, and also used a thread on the
mailing list related to a "minimal cocoon install".

Thanks,

- Brent