cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject One Cocoon or many?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:36:09 GMT
A rather noobish question...

I'm in the midst of developing my first Cocoon application, but if
things go my way it won't be the last, and more are going to run on
this server in the future.  And although for now I only have the single
application, soon there will need to be two instances (development and
production) of it.

So then — I can either run the applications in a single Cocoon
instance, as subprojects mounted off the main sitemap... or, I can
build each app its own Cocoon instance.

I'm running Cocoon 2.1.3 in Jetty, behind Apache.

The only Cocoon book I have is Moczar & Aston's "Cocoon Developer's
Handbook", in which the authors state that "the one downside of running
multiple applications on a single Cocoon instance is that you might
have configuration conflicts in cocoon.xconf, web.xml, or
logkit.xconf."  OK, good point... I'll remember that.

However this book (a) was published last year and is undoubtedly
therefore hopelessly out-of-date :-); and (b), they sort of assume you
are using Tomcat.  Other than the configuration conflicts mentioned,
are there any other considerations to be aware of?  What's the
conventional wisdom these days?

Thanks a lot,
~ML