cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Hess <p...@pbone.biz>
Subject Re: call CLI from webapp
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:48:01 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

>> Another question: I'm using the CocoonBean inside of an Action -- is
>> there any reason why I should NOT do this????
>

> Probably.
>
> I have conteplated this sort of thing before, but the issues are quite
> large. The CocoonBean creates a whole new instance of the Avalon
> framework in order to do its work. So, if you use it within a running
> Cocoon, you've got a Cocoon within a cocoon, which will not be very
> efficient at all. To do it properly, you'd probably need to share the
> Cocoon instance with the servlet, but that's going deeper than I ever
> have into Cocoon.
>
> Try it. See if it works. But don't expect it to be very efficient, and
> expect it to put a significant load onto your server while it is
> running, if it works at all.
>
> Were I to do this, I'd create an action or something that writes a
> trigger that is picked up by a cron job that carries out the task
> asynchronously.

 From my current tests it seems to be more efficient to start the second
instance (with all drawbacks) than having an independend instance
triggered. The same task inside the webapp starts up much faster. Having
a shared instance sounds really nice but I will not no look into this
until I get a better contact to cocoon sources. In the meantime I will
continue to research what's possible inside a webapp -- any hints are
welcome ;)

Patrick