cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: "not so many levels" error?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:41:51 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

>>> Humm,, with that syntax you are sending the parameter to the matcher.
>>

>> D'oh!
>>
>> I know exactly what that syntax does when I'm *trying* to do something
>> like that :-)
>>
>>>  Are you actually trying to send the parameter to a generator?
>>>

>> No, I'm not.  What I really wanted to do was to capture one of the
>> matches into a parameter that I could then reference later on.
>>
>> For one thing, I was confusing 'parameter' a la <map:parameter> with
>> the parameters in the Map object returned by matchers and actions...
>>
>> But is there a way to do what I was trying to do?
>

> What *are* you trying to do? "Capture one of the matches into a
> parameter" is your solution to your problem. But what's your problem?
>
> Please don't feel offended, but again I must say you are thinking a
> programming way, but the sitemap is declarative. It just does not work
> this way.

Well, it depends on what "later" means.  If you mean add it to a session
  variable, or put it out on the file system that's true.  But maybe you
meant just later in the same pipeline declaration (even if nested in
other matchers/selectors/actions).  Then you'd just use the ../ back
references to get back to the right "nesting level" for that sitemap param.

Otherwise, use flow or action.

Geoff