cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: xml select own stylesheet?
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:40:03 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:

> Mark, for one technique, see my message from about 12 hours ago ("sitemap
> logic depending on pipeline content").

Aside from the technique in Conal's message, this is generally not
possible.  The technical reason is that a pipeline is assembled before
processing starts.  Only certain pipeline elements can influence
construction of a pipeline (matchers, selectors, actions, and flow).
This is an intentional design decision to help enforce separation of the
model (content) from "controller" and presentation (selection of
stylesheet being one aspect of those).  Another aspect to this is
caching which would be impossible (or useless) if processing had to
start in order to figure out if a cached response had already been
generated.

You can "peek" into the intended source file with an action or flow, or
even possibly one of the xml-based input sources to accomplish the same
sort of thing.  If you have the flexibility to restructure your data,
you can also consider finding some other way to store and signal that
information.

HTH,
Geoff