cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Sudden difference in interpretation of #160 - bug?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:01:04 GMT

H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks. I've read the article, in fact I read the entire thread, but either
> New Year's wine is still in my system (I don't drink :-)) or I've stumbled
> onto a configuration problem/bug in <map:serialize type='xhtml'/>
>
> Point is this: whether I enter &#160; or &#xA0; directly in my XSL
> stylesheet or through an entity reference
> <!ENTITY nbsp "&#160;"> (or the hex code), when I tell the serializer to use
> type xhtml I get an &Acirc; instead of &nbsp; when I change the type back to

I take it you refer to &Acirc; just to communicate here, and that it is
not actually in the resulting file, right?

That would be the most interesting thing to see now: what actually is in
that file (and not: what is showing up in the browser)

When the A with ^ shows up it often means the browser received UTF-8 but
thinks it is iso-8859-1 any way... as it happens to be (no need to go
into the depths of how the encoding works) some of the characters in
utf-8 are encoded with more then one byte, in which case the leading
byte is not uncommon to map to latin-1's A with something range (just so
you recognise the disease)

could you check the encoding your browser is assuming? and check that
with the page or http-headers were saying?
(possibly cross-test with another browser as well)

> 'html' it works as expected.

can be a number of reasons:
- I think by default html serializer is set to use iso-8859-1 as target
encoding?
- I think the html serializer (from xalan) would be introducing the &nbsp;

in which case you are comparing apples to oranges...

regards,
-marc=