cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: Looking for data persistance method recommendation
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:35:00 GMT
mirko dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> mirko dijo:
>>
>>>I forgot to ask: if I return a query results' iterator
>>>(broker.getIteratorByQuery(query)), will I be able to pass it as a
>>>parameter to flows's view and then iterate it in my JXTemplate? I've a
>>>feeling that it won't work :(
>>
>> The iterator no, but a bean collection yes. We use OJB to develop DB
>> application with flow+woody and jxtemplate and this is a paradise
>> compared
>> with other approach.
>
> Yes, I know I can pass collection of objects. But I'm afraid of memory
> usage if the collections are huge. :) But I think I'll do as you said,
> in the future maybe a iterator will be able to be passed :)

This is a good question, but as usually we can "paginate" the output, then
there cannot be to big collections at all. Also OJB can use some lazy load
that will load objects only if they are requested. There are also proxies
for beans, etc. See the features of OJB.

> BTW Flow is the best new thing in Cocoon and the Woody becoming second
> one. If I only get OJB (or other) working with it I will be very happy.

Well, it simply works. We are currently developing 2 applications with
this technology and OJB is doing a good work.

>> What else can you ask? ;-)
>
> OK, but off topic :) A question about encoding in JXTransfomer: If I
> pass a string with national characters (ISO-8869-2) from flow to the
> view (JXTemplate) these characters do not show up correctly. Is there
> any issues?

Use UTF-8, I think there you can find your national codes in UTF-8 too.

UTF-8 is the prefer way in the XML world.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo