cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tim Holloway <THollo...@firstalliancebank.com>
Subject RE: portal frameworks vs. struts
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:51:48 GMT

Here's some of the attributes of a portal:

1. It shows be able to serve as a sort of "digital dashboard", placing
the most important aspects of your job under immediate view and serving
as a launchpad for the rest.

2. The portal page may contain one or more complete self-contained
mini-webapps.

3. Because portal pages can pull data from many sources (especially if
they display RSS newsfeeds), a good portal implementation will have support
for caching. The page can't fully display until the slowest contributor
has finished - even if the user's not interested in that item, since HTML
doesn't have support for partial page updates.

4. Portals encourage Single Sign-on (SSO) support. Consider: what happens if
you
have 12 applications pulling content from 12 places displaying data on
your portal page - and every last one of them requires a userid/password to
be supplied before they can run?

  HTH,

   Tim

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this e-mail in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it
from your computer. Although our company attempts to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses,
it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained
as a result of viruses.