cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Lincoln" <linc...@linc.net.au>
Subject Re: Installation for Dummies
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:06:16 GMT
I have been trying to do the same thing for 3 days now and had a
breakthrough about 1hr ago.

All I did was download the Cocoon2.1.3 - unzipped it  - and followed the top
4 steps in  the "install.txt" file. Which are:

------------
1) Set your JAVA_HOME environment

You have to set your JAVA_HOME environment to point to the root directory of

the Java Virtual Machine (JDK 1.3.x or later) installed on your machine.

To do this simply type:

[unix] JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java/

[win32] SET JAVA_HOME=c:\path\to\java

your mileage may vary depending on your shell, but you know how to setup

environments, right?

2) Build Cocoon by typing "build" or "./build.sh"

3) Run Cocoon by typing "cocoon servlet" or "./cocoon.sh servlet"

4) Open http://localhost:8888/ with your browser

-------------

The install took about 19 mins.
To my surprise, I did not need Tomcat as the Cocoon install also installed
the Jetty servlet container.

NOTE: I am using JDK1.4.

I did not come across any info about Cocoon 2.1.3 being buddled with Jetty,
it maybe there somewhere but I never thought to look. Begginers really get a
tough time and often give up. Does anyone know where this is documented, or
have plans to document.

Linc

Lincoln Mitchell
hm: 618 9250 6772