cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: XSL a processor hog?
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:51:35 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Can you give instructions on how to get Saxon working? I tried but
>> got hopelessly lost.
>

> If you run JDK 1.3 just remove the Xalan jar and add the Saxon jar
> to Cocoon's lib directory. It becomes more difficult with JDK 1.4,
> because moving the Saxon jar into the JDK's lib/endorsed will also
> cause Saxon's DOM to be used, which is read-only and leads to all
> kind of unpleasantness with Cocoon (in particular no meaningful
> logs).
>
> It may help to add a jar containing only an overriding service
> definition for javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory pointing to
> Saxon's transformer factory to the JDK's lib/endorsed, but without
> adding the Saxon jar to the lib/endorsed classloaders might complain.
>
> I *think* there is a wiki entry about running Xalan and Saxon in
> parallel, but I can't find it right now.

Yup. On the DocBook page.

I've just got Saxon working. (Point being not to try and do these things
when your head is like Cotton wool).

Unfortunately, I only 12 hits from 37 to 34 seconds (on my local
machine). So I wonder if it is worth the effort (given that I've some
Xalan extensions to rewrite). But I'll try again on a dedicated web
server and see if the response is any better.

Regards, Upayavira