cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Rewriting web application to Cocoon?
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:48:50 GMT
H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:

>Thanks.

Use an aggregator to merge two XML documents into a single stream.

>>Woody is extremely powerful, and does do things that you ask
>>about. The
>>question is, how would you deal with the issues that you
>>might come up
>>with when Woody doesn't do what you need it to? The development
>>community might help, or you might want to try extending
>>Woody yourself.
>>

>This is where my reluctance comes from: how much time would I need to get
>such a problem solved.

I would look at the woody samples to see if you can see the
functionality that you need. If you can't find some functionality, ask
here about how to achieve teh specific functionality that you require.
You may well find that its all there, or that someone adds the bits that
aren't.

>>These days, you can do your flow control work in flowscript (in
>>Javascript), so actions aren't needed.
>>
>>As to generators, if you can get your content into some XML
>>format, then
>>

>This sounds very promising, because I already have an XML format.
>

>>writing a transformer is trivial. If you can generate SAX events from
>>your XML, then you just pass them to the provided SAX content
>>handler.
>>Otherwise, if you've got a DOM object, you just use a DOMStreamer to
>>stream the DOM as SAX events (see the FileGenerator source).
>>

>Hmm. I don't fully understand this (i.e. I don't see the code I should
>write), but I'll figure this out.

Look at the FileGenerator, it isn't that complicated.

>>>- I've read about forms and form beans where the bean has a
>>>

>>property for
>>

>>>every input field in the form. This would require a lot of
>>>

>>handcoded beans,
>>

>>>while it removes the generic nature I have in my software now. Is it
>>>possible to automatically generate both form and form bean
>>>

>>from a definition
>>

>>>file and process all in a similar way?
>>>

>>Woody has a form model that sits behind the form, basically
>>storing the
>>values within form widgets. It is then up to you what you do with the
>>contents of those widgets. You can manually populate your backed in
>>Javascript, or use the binding framework to bind to java
>>beans or to DOM
>>Documents. The binding framework is improving as we speak.
>>

>This sounds promising too.
>

>>>- Can I solve this list problem with Cocoon?
>>>

>>I would suspect so. You'll be in for a learning curve, but
>>once you've
>>learnt it, you'll find yourself able to create future webapps with a
>>delightful speed.
>>

>:-) I know what steep learning curves are. I started on this project 2 years
>ago with a basic knowledge of Delphi and an interest in Java. Since then I
>had to learn Java, CORBA and other OMG specifications as well as study, use
>and modify the components of another open source project.

Thing about this learning curve is the amount of productivity you'll
have once your over it.

>Maybe I can squeeze this in between Christmas dinner and New Year's
>fireworks. :-)

Good luck! And don't drink too much at Christmas, you'll need your
concentration!

Upayavira