cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: cocoon-blank.war II
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:16:16 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

<snip>

> great!
>
>> My idea was to offer cocoon creator. It's a web application (at the of
>> this writing in PHP -- I will convert it to cocoon if the concept is
>> good enough) asking you some build-specific question (JDK to build,
>> Cocoon version, blocks to include). Based on this information it will
>> start to build a customized version of cocoon and offer it to download
>> to user.
>

> I have considered doing something like this with Ant which has built in
> support for interactive properties which can also be scripted for later
> rebuilds.  But I think your idea of doing it over the web is worth
> pursuing (except you're stuck paying for the bandwidth).
>
> As I see it, these are the problems people have with the build process:
>
> 1) emotional shock at having to build at all.
> 2) java environment problems (jvm instead of jdk, JAVA_HOME not set,
> endorsed libs problem?)
> 3) winzip empty libs problem
> 4) failure to read INSTALL.txt
> 5) trouble deciphering the options in build.properties and
> blocks.properties
> 6) misinterpreting build output (warnings!=failure !)
>
> the web based builder idea helps with all of those, except postpones the
>  problem with java environment (#2).

I remember a friend doing this, but for the Linux kernel :()

This will all be obsolete when 2.2 comes around and we have "real"
blocks.  Until then, why not explore some ideas?

Another idea:  Someone should built a naked Cocoon, and we could
distribute it on BitTorrent.  We'd just need lots of people hosting it.

Tony