cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Woody repeater binding
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 19:32:31 GMT
Jan,
(and copying dev since we're having some repeater-binding related
discussions there lately)

congrats with another very sensible use case, you seem to be building a
catalog of those :-) pls keep 'em comming

as for the issue at hand, I'm a bit afraid it's a no go here and now.

1/ purely declaratively in the binding-def file this would require a
more self-contained description of the binding used for the unique-key stuff

(if you check the code of the repeater-binding you would see that it
uses a simple value-binding to do the binding of the unique-id to/from
the unique-path)

if we could allow for letting this unique-id-binding be user defined
through some nested

<wb:repeater>
   <unique-id>....here goes your binding declaration...

then we are already half way there...
(for your case you could then use a nested aggregate binding or even the
new struct-container from Timothy)

2/ finally implementation-wise this would call for a change in the
interface of the binding... next to load() and save() methods we would
need some hasMatchingValue() check method that can be used for the
matching of the values

(currenlty the repeater impl also remembers the unique-id and -path and
abuses that do the matching on a more direct level. By introducing the
new check-method we can keep on hiding those details into the
specialized binding itself)

hope this makes sense?
unfortunately I can't work on this before friday, I do hope it's not
blocking your activity

regards,
-marc=