cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Oleg Dulin <dul...@olegdulin.com>
Subject Re: coping with XSLT
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:13:52 GMT
Adrian, Bertrandt:

I've been following this thread, and posted some notes on my blog at
http://www.olegdulin.com/index.php?p=53&c=1 .

In summary:

*  If you really wanted to, you could write a custom transformer. To
make the job is easier, Cocoon lets you extend AbstractDOMTransformer so
you can manipulate on DOM, rather than SAX events. However, if you are
transforming XML form one form to another and you are not making complex
business logic decisions and you are not communicating with backend
system, then XSLT is the easiest, most documented approach there is to
XML transformations.

* XML is way too verbose for large complex XSLTs. I am hoping to see
Groovy included into BSF as a standard bundle. I've been following the
Groovy project and I think it can serve as an alternative way of writing
markup. Groovy let's you describe tree structures without the mess of
XML tags and there are ways to convert Groovy scripts into XML. So,
Groovy can potentially be used to write XSLTs.

Groovy: http://wiki.codehaus.org/groovy/FrontPage

Oleg