cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Petru Dimulescu <adrian.dimule...@free.fr>
Subject coping with XSLT
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:28:14 GMT
Hello,

this may not be exactly the best place to talk about general XSLT issues
but I'll do it anyway, you'll see in a second why.

I think Cocoon is one of the coolest pieces of software around and I
would like to use it more; I do see a problem though, which is more
connected to XSLT than to Cocoon itself.

How do you make Cocoon largely used say, in a software team, when the
main transfomation language is XSLT ? That ugly, difficult to write,
close to impossible to read, XML-based functional language? I honestly
find myself almost inconsciently trying to avoid XSLT. When I have an
XSLT task, I find something else to do, it's almost freudian....

The ability of a technology to become mainstream depends to a large
extent to its ease of use, perhaps even more than to its sheer power. Is
there a little secret you have, Cocoon people, when working with XSLT?
Some IDE, perhaps? I have tried, in order, emacs with slide but Lisp is
not my thing and having to learn it in order to customize the slightest
aspect of Emacs is not my idea of productivity; jEdit's  XSLT plugin
helps a little but not much, it remains just an editor. Xmlspy is better
but I'm not much of a Windows person; In fact Xmlspy proves to me that
only having an advanced and expensive IDE is it possible to decently
program XSLT.

I found some projects on the net, Cduce and XDuce which are apparently
based on functional languages (ocaml) and could replace XSLT. Do you
know of any other alternatives to XSLT which might replace the
XsltTransformer ?

Thanks for your opinions,
Adrian.