cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: XML-Query language
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:49:31 GMT
Scherler, Thorsten wrote:

> Hello group,
> does cocoon support the the XML-Query language mentioned:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-xml-ql-19980819/

nope, not that I know of

> I am looking for a way do what in this article mentioned. I would like
> to excetute queries on xml documents like:
> WHERE <book>
>         <publisher><name>Addison-Wesley</></>
>         <title> $t</>
>         <author> $a</>
>       </> IN "www.a.b.c/bib.xml"
> CONSTRUCT <result>
>              <author> $a</>
>              <title> $t</>
>           </>
> Is that possible?

hm, you are looking at XMLQuery as a way to query around in some kind of
document-database.  This will only be performant if there are some
indexes pre-created for the available documents targetted for the
queries you are going to launch...

Hence you live more or less in the assumption of an XMLDatabase which is
more or less the natural habitat for XMLQuery implementations

(although there is a group of people that like the syntax more then XSLT
and would welcome the FLOWR expressions for single file transformations
as well. Haven't seen it happen however)

> or this there a way similar to it?

What sizes are we talking about? For really small sets you might
consider aggregating all into one file and using plain XSLT (probably a
fair amount of xsl:key usage)

But again, this has the sound of pre-indexing all over it.  Depending on
the variety of queries you need to service you could consider making
these index files yourself or switch to some XMLDatabase. (or even a
bread-and-buther RDBMS)

This would mean that you process the separate XML files when they are
being stored. (e.g. to put parts of the info they hold into the RDBMS)

regards,
-marc=