cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Cocoon activity
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:54:19 GMT
Given this change on mirrors, the person maintaing:
http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/projects/cocoon.html
needs either to delete the graph on downloads
(as it is misleading by nature of omitting relevant data),
or upgrade the mechanism whereby it is created so as to
properly reflect  all mirror site data - I don't believe that
the graph as it stands is "somewhat indicative" of activity.

There is enough FUD out there already ;-)

>>> vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net 2003/11/14 03:46:30 PM >>>
Alexander Schatten wrote:

> Derek Hohls wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether the issues around the
>> "non-binary version of Cocoon" are affecting downloading and use of

>> Cocoon...

Yes, they are increasing Cocoon usage.

>> Look a the monthly views from:
>> http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/projects/cocoon.html
>>
>> During Dec 2001 to April 2003, the downloads were constant -
>> even high - but since then they have dropped off significantly.
>> OTOH, the page views (I assume of cocoon.apache.org) have
>> continued to climb.
>>
>> ???
>
> if the stats are not blurred by mirroring or the like (but I guess,
> this is not the case),

Stats are not reflecting (and never will) downloads from the mirros,
because mirrors are not controlled by the ASF.

Due to this simple fact, and due to the fact that, starting sometime in

April, Cocoon uses mirroring system, we were able to achieve HUGE
improvements in bandwidth utilitzation:

http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/images/trend-weekly-project-cocoon-bytes.png

And since then, count of downloads:

http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/images/trend-weekly-project-cocoon-downloads.png

does not mean much; it is just somewhat indicative of the actual amount

of downloads: you have to multiply this number onto count of the
mirrors.

OTOH, page views is the real number which can be taken as a measure of

"popularity".

Vadim

believed to be clean.