cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Compilation of Cocoon / Binary Distribution / Different Configurations,
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:18:14 GMT
Thank you again for feedback; some comments though:

Upayavira wrote:

> Dependencies between blocks are a relatively new thing - at the moment
> we've just dealt with it with comments in the blocks.properties file,
> which is not ideal, but better than not telling anyone at all.

yes, but unfortunately they are far from complete: since the last email
I already had to restart the build twice because of not marked
dependencies... this is really extremly awkward.

> You probably perceive a resistance to helping to improve stuff like
> the build process, or to making binaries available. This, I believe,
> is because developers would rather concentrate on implementing real
> blocks, rather than putting effort into the current build process,
> which was _always_ seen as a temporary measure.

yes, I think you have established that, and I understand it.

However, I have the impression, that the Cocoon developers, which are is
very obviously a group of excellent developers, sometimes oversees the
fact, that Cocoon is not longer a hacker tool, but there are thousands
of "normal" users outside; and when you announce a new release, certain
basic attributes should exists.

One is, that the build and installation is transparent even to
non-Cocoon-contributors;

I might not be the brightest of all Cocoon users, but you might assume
that I am at least the "average dummy user", and I report the problems
and issues, because I love the project; many others simply dump the idea
to use Cocoon.

>> cant you provide a set of 3-5 blocks.properties files at least, so
>> that every user can choose from a set of working properties the best
>> suited for the problem?
>

> I've watched this, again, and again, and again. No two people can
> agree on what they need and what they don't. It is simply not possible
> to identify a few tailored blocks.properties, as there are just so
> many relevant combinations.

Sorry, to point this out again: this is the usual "guru-problem": not
agreeing about a solution, because no suggested solution offers 100%
quality (only 80% at best), and the result is an eternal discussion with
a "no-solution" that has the quality of 20% (as of now). And 95% of
Cocoon installations use the "full program" as in the current properties
file.  This was not intended, I believe.

At this point I have to say:

*please* -- for the sake of the normal user -- take a decision, and put
3-5 properties files into the release!! They can at least be a guidance
for the unskilled ones. and the expert can configure as he does it right
now.

thank you!

Alex