cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Rod Giffin" <...@giffinscientific.com>
Subject Re: does cocoon support css
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:08:33 GMT
Asim Raja said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in using use Cocoon to convert an html page to a PDF
> file. I would like to feed the URL of the page and get the PDF. I would
> like to know if CSS used by the webpage would be supported by the
> HTMLGenerator and the PDF Serializer?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!

Hm, well no but I know what you mean.  CSS is an HTML helper widget,
designed to overcome some of the shortcommings of HTML.  It's actually
your browser that uses the CSS data, not the document as in a PDF.  Unless
Acrobat Reader or whatever can use an HTML stylesheet, you should actually
use XSL:FO to render the PDF.

Just a note though, very often I have to render a report in HTML that the
user wants to see or save in PDF.  I've found that it's usually best to
re-design the document in the PDF format so that it looks more like a form
than a web page.  I simply use XSL:FO in order to accomplish that.  The
XSL contains all of the style information, and it can be as similar to the
way you want the HTML to look, or as completely different as the use of
the document dictates.

Rod.