cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Rod Giffin <...@giffinscientific.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon activity
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:37:13 GMT
On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 00:43, Geoff Howard wrote:
> Rod Giffin wrote:
>
> >>the truth is that cocoon is not (beginners-dev)-friendly
> >>because many parameters (the pipeline-approach, missing IDE, less debug
> >>tools)
> >>
> >>after 2 years here and with cocoon in production from the first 2.0rc is
> >> still difficult for me to do something without to see an example.
> >>
> >>.. but i like cocoon and believe in cocoon power (thats the reason i'm
> >>here)
> >

> > I'm also a beginner, after 1 year here.  I agree, Cocoon is a complex
> > tool, with a very steep learning curve that has given me some difficulty,
> > partly because of having to build from source.
[SNIP]
> Now, out of curiosity since we have to live in the here and now for a
> bit, what did you find hard about building cocoon from source?

Just to be clear, I did not have a *bad* experience with it, I just had
some extra things that I had to learn before I got Cocoon to work the
way I wanted... Things like, what blocks I want to include, and what
blocks I want to exclude.  The net result of having to consider this is
that I understand Cocoon a little more than when I simply downloaded and
installed a binary.

I think in fact that now that I feel more comfortable with the process
that I will probably continue to use the source release even when a
pre-compiled alternate is available again.

Rod.