cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [WOODY] hierarchical representation of a multivaluefield
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:59:24 GMT
On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 18:43, Nicolas Maisonneuve wrote:
> hy,
> i have to represent a hierachical tree in a form
> |
> |-A
>   |-A1
>   |-A2
>      |-A21
> |- B
> ..
> we can choose several values (A, A1,A21)
> so it's a multivalue field

but it is has a hierarchical list so it's not a multivalue field :-)

> but how represent this with the woody framework
> the html result would be like that :
> <ul>
>   <ul>
>     <li><input..>A1</input></li>
>     <li><input..>A2
>     <ul>
>       <li><input..>A21</li>
>     </ul>
>     </li>
>   </ul>
>   </li>
> </ul>
>
> thank in advance

Some thoughts:

* if the list of items in the tree is fixed, then use a set of
booleanfields

* it is possible to make a selection-list implementation that produces
whathever XML you want, thus also hierarchical data, though this might
be considered breaking the selection-list contract.

* if information on the hierarchy can be derived from the values or
labels in the selection-list, you could produce the hierarchical HTML
with XSLT (though it's not very simple).

* maybe this is a job for a yet-to-be-created tree widget (i.e. a
tree-variant of the repeater widget)