cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: html templates - best practise
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:30:07 GMT
Andreas

Not sure I fully understand  - and so  I may be missing the point
completely... but Cocoon, unlike many other web application
systems does *not* work on a "template" system ... data is
created in XML (from static and/or dynamic sources) and the
presentation (HTML page layout) is handled via XSLT - it is
likely that you & the designer need to agree as to what parts
of his/her layout need to be encapsulated into the XSLT code
and which parts will be created dynamically via Cocoon

Hope this helps - if not, you may have to supply some more
concrete examples of what you are trying to achieve.

Derek

>>> abo@online.de 03/10/2003 11:21:06 >>>

Hi,

i read a lot of tutorials and docs about cocoon and i really like it, but I still don't know,
what's the best practise to handle html templates.

I get the static part of my html page from a html designer and I want to leave it untouched,
so the designer can modify it later on. Of course, some place holders and template instructions
should be in there, to put the dynamic part into the right place.

maybe this strict seperation( html design <-> java/xml programming) is against the philosophie
of cocoon, because I understand:
all required data (static+dynamic) should be put in the xml datasource with the generator
and during the transformation process this data will be mixed with html(or wap or pdf) language
specific parts.

so, how do you handle this?
any suggestions/comments are welcome!!

thanks very much