cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Simmons" <deri...@arcor.de>
Subject Re: New CVS?
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:03:24 GMT
Yes, I have looked at that project. Its no youngster itself having started in
95.Nine years is a long time in the computing world to put a product into
production. In fact it is usually lethal. Given the pace of the industry, a
product needs to hit in a usable version in less than a year to be feasible.

In addition, subversion requires C to code clients to it. This limits the scope
of potential deployment strategies significantly. In addition, C coding is
resource intensive. Sure, it might be marginally faster but it takes a C coder
something near three times as long as a Java developer to get a product to
market.

I have other arguments with subversion as well. It doesn't do multiple projects
well, instead requiring that you create multiple repositories, one for each
project. It also fails to recognize the dichotomy between a file version and a
software version. Seeing revision 5678 on a file that has never been changed is
quite .... strange.

Finally, by subversion's own admission they aren't trying to break ground, but
merely "replace" CVS.

Ultimately I think subversion presents a great source of research for lessons
learned, both good and bad, but does not represent the future.

My vision is of an architecture that is extensible, powerful, efficient and
based upon commonly used standards. (Lets face it, WebDAV is all but dead)

-- Robert