cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: html templates - best practise
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:58:02 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Vendredi, 3 oct 2003, à 14:41 Europe/Zurich, Derek Hohls a écrit :
>
>> ...My feeling is that use of Cocoon must change some aspects
>> of how you work... if you do not want to change, then maybe
>> stick to JSP or other template-type systems?...
>
> I didn't follow the beginning of this discussion, but wouldn't a
> technique like the "style-free XSLT" presented in
> http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2000/07/26/xslt/xsltstyle.html allow one to
> work with "visible" HTML templates, even if doing the transformations in
> XSLT?
>
> I haven't used this yet but the idea looks really interesting.

Actually, it is extremely useful. Some Lenya publications are using
it, and the major benefit is the separation of real XHTML layout
and presentation logic. The XSLTs become more readable and maintenance
is simplified. The cocooncenter article I mentioned in my previous
mail to this thread is based on exactly this xml.com article.

Andreas