cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Oleg Dulin <dul...@olegdulin.com>
Subject Re: [OT?] - XUL
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:32:51 GMT
I slaved over a pretty big XUL application earlier this year using
Mozilla as a run time environment.

Just want to point something out:

* XUL is just another XML format
* XUL is an interactive-client side technology, as opposed to mostly
static Xhtml. Cocoon/COcoon Forms/Woody is an interactive server side
technology. Getting the two to work together would be useful, but I am
just not sure if there is anything Cocoon can contribute. There already
are ways to invoke XML web services from JavaScript from within a XUL app.
* From Cocoon standpoint, nothing changes
* There are no good XUL books, the ones that exist don't go deep enough
to be useful
* If Cocoon developers do find a need to add XUL support to Cocoon, I'd
try and make it as Mozilla-independent as possible so that non-Mozilla
XUL renderer plugins can be used. For example, going back to my XForms
post earlier, XUL/JavaScript can be used to render XForms on the client
side.

My personal opinion is that Cocoon does not need any special support for
XUL, but that is because I cannot think of a scenario where Cocoon would
be of help aside from providing backend XML web services and, possibly,
rendering screens.

Oleg