cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <jheini...@virbus.de>
Subject Re: [OT?] - XUL
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:42:18 GMT
On 30.10.2003 02:54, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke dijo:
>
>>It's not that difficult, it's "just another markup language".
>>
>>Not long ago I announced our ConWeb application based on XUL:
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=106448993524514&w=2.
>>As you can read this is already based on Cocoon
>

> BTW, can you recommend any XUL book? I will like to go a little in depth
> with XUL.

One book is available online for free: http://books.mozdev.org/, but I
can not really recommend it. On the one hand the books are to old, the
development on the Mozilla project is to fast. On the other hand they
don't go deep enough, i.e. if you create a "real" application you won't
find the information in such a book.

The best resource is xulplanet.com with its tutorial for a good start
and later the element reference. The FAQ and the XPCom reference didn't
exist at the time we build the application, but they seem to be
interesting to.
*Very* helpful are the prefbar (for adding buttons like "clear cache")
and the DOM inspector (per default delivered with Cocoon, Tools > Web
Development > DOM Inspector) and of course the JavaScript Console (also
delivered with Cocoon, Tools > Web Development > JavaScript Console).
The also available JavaScript Debugger reached never the status of being
really helpful during our development, but it could have changed in the
meantime.

Joerg