cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Erik Bruchez <e...@bruchez.org>
Subject Re: New CVS?
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:43:43 GMT
Robert,

Please check your facts.

1) The *idea* of writing a CVS replacement may be old, but serious
    coding work on Subversion started only in 2000, incidently funded
    by Brian Behlendorf, the co-founder of Apache.

2) To write a Subversion client does not require a client written
    entirely in C. Check the svn-up project (http://svnup.tigris.org/),
    a Java interface for subversion. Granted, your client won't be 100%
    Pure Java, but a good project would be to write one, based on Java
    WebDAV and DeltaV (the protocols used by Subversion) clients. This
    BTW is probably more related to Apache Slide and the current work
    on JSR-147 and JSR-170.

I don't think you should dismiss Subversion that quickly without
digging into it more. It is a very serious project with a lot of
potential. Yes version 1.0 just aims at replacing CVS, but what
happens post-1.0 is still in the air.

Like you, I think a Java version would offer tremendous advantages
(think about the possibility to use a SQL backend for Subversion: how
easy this would be done in Java compared to C!), but this remains
entirely possible on the client side, and, why not, on the server
side, as you could write a Java server compatible with Subversion.

-Erik