cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: CSV upload to Chaperon
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:36:38 GMT
Paul Crabtree wrote:

> Thanks Geoff.
> I've come across something called a FilePartGenerator since my post:
> http://www.tempeststrings.com/cocoon/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/generatio
> n/FilePartGenerator.html, which, to me, seems to be what i want.
> Is there anything like this in 2.1 or anything coming?

That generator was submitted as a patch but was closed because he forgot
to attach the source.  I haven't looked at the code in a while but the
modifications to make that run in 2.1 shouldn't be very big.  If you're
interested in it, have the author of that Generator re-open the patch at
bugzilla with the attachments.  You are also probably free to take it
yourself and adopt it.  If the original author doesn't want to bother
submitting it again and you have his license to do so, you could
contribute that generator yourself.

There was a problem with the other part of the code he was donating in
that it introduced a dependency on a project with an incompatible
license (though the author granted an exception for the version he used)
and overlapped heavily with POI which we already have in cvs.

> Im not sure using
> the file:// protocol file give me what i want as the file exists in
> memory only and im reluctant to save a copy of the file due to me client
> requirements.

It's only in memory if you have autosave-uploads set to false (which is
no longer the default in 2.1).  In 2.1 autosave-uploads does not save
the file, permanently - it's automatically deleted at the end of the
request.  Does that meet your client requirements?

> Im kind of getting the whole upload process now and the ways in which
> Cocoon can handle them, i just see a missing link between that part and
> getting the in-memory file through to a pipeline.

That's where the generator or a source would come in handy.

> I read on a mail list
> somewhere that there is a brand new generator in Bugzilla that will
> solve this but cant find any more info on this out. anyone come across
> this?

It may have been the same one you found - I'm not aware of any others.
Do you have a link to the archive?  Maybe it'd jog my memory.

Geoff