cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: woody block: help tag <wi:help>
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:57:43 GMT
Bruno Dumon dijo:
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 07:23, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> You are not doing nothing wrong. The <wi:help> exists as part of the
>> woody specification.

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for taking time to answer us.

> Huh? wi:help doesn't exist -- or at least not yet. It has been
> discussed, but nothing concrete has come out of it yet.

No sure about the above, please check:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/woody/samples/resources/woody-field-styling.xsl
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/woody/samples/resources/woody-page-styling.xsl

Both files contains the <wi:help> tag. We are trying to learn woody by
examples, where else we can find some examples ;-D. While we was styling,
we found the <wi:help> tag, then we decided to use it since it is a good
idea. We thought to include a js scripting to popup a little window to
show the content of <wi:help>.

I also remember about our posts in July:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105848333001636&w=2

Please follow the thread. I thought the tag is already part of woody! :-(

Well, anyway we think we need to include it since this is part of any
form. Of course it would be optional as we discused before to allow people
does not use it if they does not want or like it.

>>  The idea behind the tag is to allow some help related to
>> the widget. The samples does not render the tag, because the user
>> decides to render it or not.
>
> Yes and no.
>
> yes, because indeed the contents of the wt:widget element in the
> template will be copied into the wi:styling element after the
> woodytransformer and can then be used in the XSL. BTW, this behaviour is
> outdated and support for it will be dropped in the future. You now need
> to explicitely use the wi:styling element in the template (the older way
> is still supported for backwards compatibility, but that will be removed
> once docs have been updated).

Thanks for the tip.

> no, because inside wi:styling, you use whatever markup you want, but not
> the wi namespace. The wi namespace is reserved for Woody itself,
> inventing your own tags and putting them into that namespace is wrong.

As mentioned above I think the standarization of the tag will be a good
idea. As I pposted before I tought that woody can helps to make some
businness objects. Think for example in create with flow + woody + ojb all
the forms related to manage users. This would be considered a object
stored in one directory. Then think businness object for invoices,
products, etc.

That way you can reuse your code by copy the directory in the new
application. That's sounds cool right?

Well, to help this works, we need to define some standards, it would be
fine to have as part of the wi or wt namespace the help tag.

> Once wi:help will be implemented, it will be a sibling of wi:styling,
> and it will also be definable inside the form definition, just as
> wi:label.

Cool!

> In the meantime, you can use something like this inside wt:widget:
>
> <wi:styling>
>   <help>abc</help>
> </wi:styling>
> and adjust the stylesheets to do something with the help tag.

Hmm.... sorry, but I dont like it. It is too ugly for me. Also it is just
a temporary workaround, later we will need to rewrite the code again.
Nope. I am too lazy to do the same work twice. :(
A better approach can be make offical the <wi:help> tag. :-D

Of course, I will change the Woody code without your permision.

Please comment. ;)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.