cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Chris Wilkes <cwilkes-coc...@ladro.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat/Cocoon mysteriously stop responding...
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:53:21 GMT
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:38:59PM -0700, Sonny Sukumar wrote:

> Restarting Tomcat almost always solves the problem.  I've had this problem
> through all my Tomcat upgrades (4.1.12 all the way to 4.1.27 now) and my
> Cocoon upgrades (from 2.0.x all the way until latest 2.1.2).

While I can't help you out with why tomcat is dying, what you can do to
help out the situation is use two or more machines to do some load
balancing.  This also helps you out if one of them goes out to lunch and
you need to restart it.

To do so look into mod_jk (I couldn't get JK2 to work for some reason)
for Apache.  It knows enough to only forward requests via AJP13 to live
hosts, so if one of your Tomcat instances dies then it goes to the other
one.

Granted your users on the just dead tomcat loose their state
information, but this is an easy fix to get you around your immediate
problem.

Also you could have a process that checks to see if tomcat is running
and if not, restarts it.  I start most things under Daemontools
(http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html) which provides this service.

Also you might want to look into if Jetty (which ships with the latest
Cocoon) has the same problem you're seeing.

If you need some pointers on this send me an email and I'll walk you
through it.  My instructions aren't polished enough to post to the list
:)

Chris