cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Larson <timlarsonw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon And Memory
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:35:13 GMT
--- David LAGARDERE <dlagardere@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I've been working with Cocoon 2.0 for one year and a
> half now and I still don't understand why so much
> memory is needed.

Using XSLT causes the entire document to be loaded as a DOM.
As jcplerm@ameritech.net says, this takes up a lot of memeory.
Using streaming processing of the document(s) should save a
lot of memory, because only the parts of the document being
worked on at any particular moment need to be in memory.

The STX transformer in Cocoon 2.1 allows for this style of
processing.  You may also need to set some configuration
parameters to prevent caching the final document.  I believe
that by default Cocoon caches the output document until the
processing is finished, so if there is an error it has the
opportunity to send an error page in place of the document.
I do not remember what the setting was called, but if you
search the user and dev mailing lists you will probably find
where this was discussed before.  Let me know if you cannot
find it, so I will know if I need to search for it also.

Hope this helps,
--Tim Larson