cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: JXForms vs. Woody vs. KISS
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:31:39 GMT
On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 01:00, joern turner wrote:
<snip/>

> i think there already have been lots of discussions on this topic but
> could you nevertheless summarize why XForms is not a good solution for
> the server-side? - ok, it defines things in terms of DOM and i
> understand and respect the history of Cocoon and its preferral for SAX
> based processing. but IMO this might get problematic if it narrows your
> perception for possible solutions.
>
> are there other arguments beside that?

DOM vs SAX isn't even an issue, if you need a data model, of course
you'll use DOM and not SAX.

Some time ago Sylvain Wallez made a comparison between Woody and XML
Form (the "XForm implementation" of Cocoon), which you can find here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105881304808076&w=2

(BTW, don't expect any further reactions from my side if you start
rehashing the things said there)

Note that it doesn't make much sense IMO to compare Woody to XForms.
Woody is about how incoming requests are handled on the server side,
what programming interfaces are provided, etc. It would make much more
sense to ask why we didn't use JSF.

I'd also like to point out that Woody *is* based on standards: it uses
XML where sensible, uses XSLT for publishing, produces standard HTML
forms (and could handle other ones as well). It also integrates nicely
in Cocoon and Avalon.