cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject RE: strange delays in pipeline on Unix machine
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:48:46 GMT
Cheers Niclas

The request is definitely passed to Cocoon, according to my log (see my previous email). The
delay occurs between getting a JAXP Parser from a pool and putting it back, I guess it's used
to parse the XSLT files used in the pipeline.

I am definitely NOT using a JIT. The standard "fast" (64-bit) JVM for Tru64 Unix is an HP-customised
product, not the usual HotSpot machine. But there's a serious bug in the "fast" JVM's garbage
collector that crashes the JVM entirely, so I've been running it in a compatibility mode which
uses the Sun code instead (-classic). Plus I have to run it in classic mode when debugging
anway :-)

I'm also running the Windows box in classic mode because of a bug in the Windows JVM that
causes corrupt Lucene indexes using the "-server" (HotSpot) option, but the XSLT times are
not inflated like I've seen on the Unix machine.

Actually the Unix JVM runs sweetly apart from these huge delays associated with the XSLT transforms
... are you suggesting it's all garbage collection? hmmm... maybe I'll have a play around
with the gc settings on the JVM.

Con

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
	Sent: Tue 23/09/2003 6:29 p.m.
	To: users@cocoon.apache.org
	Subject: Re: strange delays in pipeline on Unix machine

	On Tuesday 23 September 2003 14:20, Conal Tuohy wrote:
	> Does anyone have any idea? Can you make a suggestion as to where to look?
	> I'm tearing my hair out here!!!

	Since the delay is so substantial, can you determine if the delay is prior or
	after the servlet request has been passed to Cocoon?

	I suspect that your Unix is doing a user AUTH or a reverse DNS lookup, that
	has to time out before processing proceeds.

	Alternatively, if it is after the request has been passed, are you sure you
	are running HotSpot or other JIT?? If your JVM is interpreting, Cocoon or
	actually the XSL processing will take quite a while to process.

	Niclas