cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <jheini...@virbus.de>
Subject Re: Forms + XUL
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:39:02 GMT
Tony Collen wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> I also added yesterday server-side event handling features, and the
>> ability for a widget to trigger form submit. Checkout the carselector
>> sample (updated a few minutes ago) that demonstrates this, and also
>> the number panel in the "Various" page.
>>
>> It certainly doesn't provide the same user experience as Joerg's
>> impressive XUL application but, well... works on any browser ;-)
>>
>> Of course, we could also have stylesheets producing XUL for Woody
>> forms. Any taker ?
>

> This would be a pretty neat demonstration of the flexibility of Woody,
> and Cocoon in general.  The only problem I noticed when researching XUL
> is that all of the form validation is pretty much client-side since it's
> mainly for being run under Mozilla.

No need for this. You can handle it like any HTML form. We do it client
side in ConWeb for the sheets because of the massive number of form
fields. The rest of the forms (user profile => "Benutzerprofil" in
German; admin views) are validated server side.

> There is very little functionality
> in the way of "submitting" a form to a remote server, but I did find
> that there is a Javascript function you can call which posts XML to a
> remote server, so this might just be all we would need to hook it into
> Cocoon.

Can't confirm. There is no problem including XHTML into XUL and so a

There is the more or less IE-compatible XMLHttpRequest object. Don't
know whether it's possible to send XML, at least you can receive it and
get it easily parsed. See http://www.mozilla.org/xmlextras/ and the test
pages at http://www.mozilla.org/xmlextras/tests.html. We send the
request as with HTML forms: ?param1=value1&param2=value2.

Joerg