cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Saxon and SQLTransformer
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:17:33 GMT
markwalshaus@netscape.net wrote:
> However if I use saxon (version 6.5.3 or 7.6.5), the "SQLTransformer" sample
> throws the following error "org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to
> execute pipeline.: java.lang.UnsuportedOperationException: The Saxon DOM
> cannot be updated"

Well, the DOM implementation included in the Saxon jar is
read-only.

> Further investigation revealed that the line
>
>  final DocumentFragment recordedDocFrag = doc.createDocumentFragment();
>
> was the problem, as doc.createDocumentFragment() is returning a null when
 > saxon is used.

This is part of the read-onlyness of Saxon's DOM implementation.

The solution is to use another DOM impelmentation, possibly the
one delivered with Xerces or included in the 1.4 JDK. Perhaps the
most simple way to achieve this is to remove the DOM classes from
the Saxon jar, as well as the service entries.
Other ideas include putting the Xerces jars into a directory where
they cen be used by Cocoon but are loaded before the Saxon jar
(perhaps the JDK's the servlet engine's lib/endorsed), or somehow
setting the service entries so that they point to a R/W DOM
implementation.

J.Pietschmann