cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Incremental Processing in Cocoon 2.1
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:21:06 GMT
On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:57, Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 16:23, Hauke Ernst wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 14:04, Hauke Ernst wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > yes, this is how it worked for 2.0.3.
> > >
> > > The problem only occurs with 2.1. My configuration in cocoon.xconf is
> > >
> > >   <xslt-processor logger="core.xslt-processor">
> > >     <parameter name="use-store" value="true"/>
> > >     <parameter name="incremental-processing" value="true"/>
> > >   </xslt-processor>
> > >
> > >   <!--+
> > >       | Xalan XSLT Processor
> > >       +-->
> > >   <component class="org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl"
> > logger="core.xslt-processor"
> > role="org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessor/xalan">
> > >     <parameter name="use-store" value="true"/>
> > >     <parameter name="incremental-processing" value="true"/>
> > >     <parameter name="transformer-factory"
> > value="org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
> > >   </component>
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, this does not lead to a streamed output.
> >
> > - How can you be so sure?
> >

> > One of my test-transformations applied on a huge dataset takes between 1
> > and minutes. In cocoon 2.0.3, I can see that the output is delivered
> > immediately, in 2.1 the output starts to appear on the screen after 1-2
> > minutes.
> > The pipeline is
> >
> >       <map:match pattern="renderhierarchicalfiletoc_xalan.xml">
> >         <map:generate src="Testfiles/hierarchicalTOC.xml"/>
> >         <map:transform type="xalan"
> > src="stylesheets/toc_fromhierarchicaltoc2.xsl"/>
> >         <map:serialize encoding="UTF-8" type="html"/>
>
> BTW, that "encoding" attribute doesn't exist.
>
> >       </map:match>
> >
> > There is no sorting in the transformation which could prevent it from
> > streaming.
>
> ok, you might be right, though AFAIK nothing changed in Cocoon that
> should prevent this behaviour. To be absolutely sure that it's Cocoon
> who doesn't set the incremental-processing parameter, could you try out
> using the attached transformer? It prints the name of the current thread
> to standard output. If you put one such transformer right before and one
> right after your XSLT transform, it should print out two different
> names.

Since I had that class lying around anyway, I thought I might as well
check myself, and for me it works, it prints out something like this:
Thread = PoolThread-4
Thread = Thread-16

I'm using the same changes to cocoon.xconf like you.

Maybe the fact that you're seeing other behaviour is caused by a change
in Xalan, or by an increased buffer size somewhere (less likely I
think). Maybe try using Xalan 2.5.1 with Cocoon 2.0 to see what that
gives.