cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Released - binary??
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:44:36 GMT
Stephen

Thanks, yes,  I will make the effort to go and read them.

But my point still stands - not everyone will have read the
mail archives or wants to be an "on the edge" developer;
I also think that the most large modern packages come
in a "binary" format & that if a decision to not take this
approach is made, it should at least be documented in a
clear way in a "findable" location (eg. the web page where
the download is located).

Obviously, though if the development team is aiming to make
Cocoon more complex  for the average developer to deploy
and use, then that is their perogative.

Derek

>>> stevenn@outerthought.org 15/08/2003 09:34:52 >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:

> The explanation given here is *not* an explanation
> at all - not all of us are subscribers to the developers
> list and so are not party to the discussions that prompted
> this decision - perhaps one of the developers can
> summarise the issues and update the website - then the
> rest of us can have a chance to comment.

That discussion was held months ago, you'll find references at
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org&from=340247&to=340247&count=60&by=thread&paged=false

There was plenty of deliberation at that time, as you can see from the
archives. To keep yourself informed of other plans the development team
is working on, it think it's fair to say you should be subscribed to the
development list. I'm pretty sure the upcoming reshuffling to ramp
ourselves up to the 'new blocks' approach sure will involve more
extensive changes to the Cocoon distribution.

Already, using the new packaging (without a distributed binary) makes it
much easier to build a deployable version of Cocoon that only includes
what you need, so in the end, people don't have to go through the burden
of stripping an unzipped WAR file in order to deploy Cocoon on their
servers. Different from the "here's everything that is included in
Cocoon" distribution, you are now able to precisely indicate the
selection of components and blocks you need for your web application.

Since Cocoon is slowly shifting from a publishing engine towards a
general purpose web application container and framework, we are catering
the distribution towards people who want to start developing using
Cocoon, rather than just distributing the demo of all-things-Cocoon.

> PS If you do decide to not release a binary verrsion, then
> you certainly should remove the link to the
> Binary distributions archive (link on this page)

Hence the word 'archive' in that link. ;-)

HTH!

--
Steven Noels http://outerthought.org/
Read my weblog at http://blogs.cocoondev.org/stevenn/