cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Schwarz" <saschw...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: forced caching of volatile data
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:45:29 GMT
You might want to talk to your DBA about how your database handles caching.
"Properly" tuned if all this SQL activity is really all selects (and all the
same set of selects) the DBMS shouldn't even hit the disk - all the data
will be in it's in memory caches. Of course query design dramatically
impacts cacheablity too. You'll pay the data transfer and cocoon processing
cost but it might be "trivial" depending on your queries/amount of data if
it all stays in the dbms cache.

You may really want/need the transactional integrity provided by the dbms if
you are combining queries (on possibly different caching intervals) in a
client single response.

As Geoff implies the approach you mention could provide stale data for as
long a 59.99999...secs depending on the frequency of insert/update/delete.
Rigging up a load test with the real queries/db will  tell you if this is an
issue...

HTH
Steve